Monday, January 04, 2010

My Top 12 Albums of 2009

I go through cycles with the music that I listen to. I thought it'd be fun to list the albums that I listened to the most throughout 2009 so that next year I can look back and see how my taste had changed. I tried to round it to 10, but could not drop any of these off the list. So you get my top 12 albums of 2009- not that were released, but that I spent time listening to.


12. The Postal Service: Give Up
This was the first year I really listened to the Postal Service, but I really love this album. This is the closest to techno/electronic pop I will probably ever get. It's a great album to listen to when relaxing or at work. Owl City has completely copied their sound and have made a lot of money doing so.



11. Fleet Foxes, Fleet Foxes
I don't know if listening to this album makes me a hippie, but oh well. The harmonies make this album. Love it. Another great album to take in when feeling mellow.



10. John Mayer: Continuum
I hope Mayer stays in this blues/jazz type genre. I spent lots of time listening to this album. Very soothing and some meaningful lyrics. I really enjoyed the song “Stop this train” about growing up, especially the line “so scared of getting older, I’m only good at being young.”



9. Tokyo Police Club: Elephant Shell
I saw Tokyo Police Club open up for Weezer and was impressed. Yeah, they’re songs are short- the entire album is just over 30 minutes. You’ll probably either love Dave Monks’ voice or find it annoying. I loved it and loved the album. It was a good change of pace for me as far as the rest of this list goes. The album has plenty of snare drum to keep your head bobbing.

8. Sufjan Stevens:
Seven Swans, Come on feel the Illinoise!, Songs For Christmas Vol. 1-5, The Avalanche

Everyone needs to have some Sufjan available to listen to at any given moment. There’s no one better to relax to or fall asleep to, in my opinion. Sufjan has a soothing, gentle voice. His music seems to lead to introspection and an appreciation of life itself. With his five volumes of Christmas albums, I am set for life for that season.


7. Where the Wild Things Are Soundtrack
This album is performed almost in full by Karen O and the Kids. It is what you wish Danielson would sound like all the time. I’m not sure who enjoys this album more- my four year old son or me. A lot of the songs sound almost tribal and incorporate something like chanting almost. The album has an “indie” feel to it. Very enjoyable.


6. Brett Dennen: Hope for the Hopeless
I don’t know how I had missed Dennen up until this year. This album is so easy to listen to. Dennen writes personal, honest lyrics that fit perfectly with the music. The album is a little folk-y. I picture this album being played in the background when you have friends over and you’re eating appetizers off little plates and want something mellow in the background, but still want a nice groove. I have never tried it in such a setting, but I imagine its purpose would finally be realized…

5. The Decemberists, The Crane Wife

I’d describe the Decemberists as folk-y storytellers. Very original. I beg you- listen to this album. Filled with ballad after ballad that will stick in your head. It’s the kind of album that you can start singing along to the 2nd time around but you will appreciate more and more musically the dozens of times you listen to it as the catchy melodies and choruses begin to turn into a story.


4. Angels and Airwaves: I-Empire

When Tom Delonge wants to make money, he tours with Blink 182. When he wants to make good music, he records with Angels and Airwaves. He is a genius when it comes to writing melodic, anthem rock tunes. He also has the ability to paint powerful imagery with his lyrics. A couple of my favorite from this album are:
“Spread love like violence”- from the song Secret Crowds
"I will run the streets in hostile lands"- from the song Heaven

3. Hillsong United: The I Heart Revolution

These guys are the best at leading worship for a younger generation. 30 songs performed live totaling over 2 1/2 hours makes this my favorite worship album ever.


2. Ben Folds:
Way to Normal; Stems and Seeds; The Sounds of Last Night, Songs for Silverman, Rockin the Suburbs

Ok, I'm cheating again. I don't listen to any one Ben Folds substantially more than the others. I really loved his new album "Way to Normal" and saw him perform it live twice. What I actually loved even more were the"fake" versions of many of the songs that he released before the actual album. "Stems and Seeds" has all the alternate versions- some of which I like more than the real ones. "The Sounds of Last Night" is a live compilation of Folds performing some from both albums. On an album-to-album basis, it really doesn't get any better than Ben Folds.


1. Jukebox the Ghost: Let Live and Let Ghost

Yeah, I don't know how this happened either. I saw Jukebox open up for Ben Folds in February and fell in love with them instantly. Now almost a year later, I still can't stop listening to this album. Clever lyrics, catchy melodies, great harmonies-- the album is just fun. Their feelings on religion/beliefs dominate a good portion of the lyrics. I disagree with pretty much every feeling they have on religion, yet appreciate the obvious time they have spent formulating their beliefs. Oh, and the drummer looks exactly like the killer in "No Country For Old Men," so that has to be a bonus. The chorus to "Good Day" runs through my mind on pretty much a daily basis. I'm anxious to see how their next album with stack up to their debut.


Feedback on the list???

1 comment:

Corinne said...

I'm vouching for your constant singing of "Good Day".

I never knew you listened to postal service enough to make your top 12!