Thursday, April 08, 2010

LOST discussion!

Some work friends and I e-mail back and forth after the weekly Lost episode to discuss what happened and how it all fits into the entire them of the show. Of course, we never really come up with answers, just more questions. But honestly, that is what makes this show so amazing. The writers are going to prove their geniusness if they can wrap together everything that is happening right now. And I'm sure they will.

I've never talked about LOST on my blog, I don't think. But I'm interested in hearing some feedback on what you think is going on. As we continue to find out more about what is happening on the island (and off the island), there seems to be two major "genres" running through the show. Faith vs. Science. I guess I just can’t figure out how the reality of what is really happening on the show is going to mesh.

The scene on the beach a few weeks ago between non-Locke and Widmore could have personified faith vs. science, the constant struggle between Jacob and MIB/non-Locke/Smokey- (whatever) is a fate vs. freewill. They have all these themes going on that need to be resolved—at least in the scope of revealing what the reality of the island is.

It is obvious that a theme in both realities is the need for balance between good and evil. The scale balanced by with a white and black rock idea on the island was echoed this week by the painting in Widmore’s office of a scale also balanced by something white and black that they made sure to keep in the screen while Desmond and Widmore were having their discussion. That part I get, I guess. That for this island and reality to exist (and really, the world), there needs to be a balance. But how time travel, electro-magnetic fields, alternate timelines, etc fit in with that and how they can either keep the good vs. evil balance or fail to do so is what I don’t understand.

What are your thoughts/predictions?

2 comments:

llf said...

Why do the alternate timelines have to fit in? Maybe they're just "what if things happened this way?" sort of thing. I guess that's just taking the cheap way out of things and not having to really think deeply into it, haha. But I'm always curious as to why people are trying to make some things more than they are at face value. Don't get me wrong, a ton of stuff in the show is extremely deep and I LOVE the stuff about Jacob and MIB (I also call him that). But maybe the alternate timelines are just that. But who knows.

Also, I'm very content with not having every loose end tied. I've had friends say they will hate the show if EVERYTHING isn't explained...but it's a sci-fi. Not all things are going to make sense nor will you ever know why or how something is able to happen, etc.

It's been very interesting to me how each episode you find out more and more people are related/siblings haha. The writers are always keeping it spicy!

So I guess this comment has just been my opinions and not necessarily my predictions.


ps. I think the episode about Richard (Ricardo) 's back story was one of my favorites of the series...so much introspection.

John Mark said...

Hey Lesley!

See, I don't think that it is just a sci-fi. I mean, there are obviously things that are happening that are not natural and are elements of a sci-fi, but I think there's going to be something deeper that connects everything. I very much think that the timelines do fit together and are actually dependent on each other. The LAX reality is not a "what if" reality, but a direct result of the nuclear bomb going off in the crash reality. We have already seen these two worlds/realities start to bleed into each other, especially around near death experiences.

I have faith that the writers have always known where the story is going. I wonder if we will get an answer to what all is going on and then see how it plays out, or if we will have to wait until the final 5 minutes of the show to figure out what the reality is and then have to look back and piece together what we just saw, if that makes sense.