Sunday, October 11, 2009

Disclaimer

As I attempt to start keeping a regularly updated blog, I would like to start with a disclaimer. I really don’t want to keep a blog. In fact, I’ve always thought the idea that I have thoughts that other people want to read was a bit pretentious. I always thought it would be cool to write a book. But again, I can’t get away from wondering why I would think I was so special that someone would want to sit down and read my thoughts.

The other day a co-worker asked me why I didn’t become a writer. That question seemed to have come from out of the blue. I asked what he meant and he said that I have a lot of opinions and I was a good writer. The fact is, I have always wanted to write. I just don’t even know where to start. I didn’t take any writing classes except for the generic Written Comp freshman level class in college. I don’t really know how one “becomes” a writer short of making a declaration to family and friends. To me, the definitions of a writer are either 1) someone way smarter and more gifted with words who has lived a far more interesting life than I or 2) someone who is unemployed, but has enough of a financial cushion to jot down some thoughts for awhile.

The point is, this blog is more for me than you. I feel like I have a lot of ideas and thoughts that I would like to spend some time exploring, but I am way too lazy to write them on paper. I trust the internet to keep these ideas way more than my computer which will, without a doubt, crash within the next year. It smells like B.O. I don’t even know how that is possible. So, you’re welcome to read along if you wish. I just don’t expect you to. That would be… pretentious of me.

No comments: