Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Just finished...


I just finished reading Donald Miller's latest book, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years today. He is coming to town on Thursday and Corinne and I are going to go hear him speak so we both wanted to make sure we finished this book ahead of time. We're not sure what exactly it is we are going to hear him talk about, but we have enjoyed his other books so much that we are excited to see him in person. I actually did hear him speak at a National Youth Leaders Convention a few years ago in Cincinnati, but was disappointed that he gave more of a traditional sermon rather than use his giftedness of story-telling to shed light on the Bible Scripture he was discussing that day. There are some people in the world that are able to express thoughts and ideas in ways that you never considered, yet make so much sense. I have joked at times that if money was indispensible to me that I would hire some of these people to live in one of my spare bedrooms (because my house would have many of them) and I would spend many evenings listening and learning from them. I should probably get started on that roster for when the day comes. I have some musicians who will also be staying over.

As for the book...

I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. As was the case with Miller's other books, I was unable to put it down. It took 3 days to read. And only that long because I had to work and fit some sleep in somewhere. It's one of those books that you get to a point where you think, "only one more chapter, and then I'm going to sleep." And then you get to the end of the chapter and start the process over again until you realize you have to stop reading because you're so tired you have read the last sentence 6 times and still have no idea what it says.

The book was all about our story. Miller is in the process of turning one of his book "Blue Like Jazz" into a screenplay, and over the course of adapting it to the big screen is confronted with having to change everything about his real life because it would be too boring for a real movie. The two writers that are hired to write the screenplay teach him about the structure and essential parts of every good story- none of which are present in the life that he is living. Miller does a great job of drawing you in with such a relevant dilemma. I'm guessing the majority of us can relate to not living out the next box office hit.

I think it is impossible to read this book and not do some introspection. What kind of life am I living? Am I really living, or just surviving and going through the motions? Where do I even find meaning if I wanted to? Miller was very helpful with his thoughts of how God fits in to our story. Or really, how we fit into God's story. I guess after reading this book, I am left with more questions than answers. Which is a good thing. These questions demand answers, and the answers demand action. I guess the hardest part is figuring out what that action is.

What I mean is- Miller comes to the realization that he hasn't really been creating a good story. He is involved in a story- we all are. But he's not happy with it. And he realizes that it's not going to get any better by sitting on a couch. So he decides to go about making his story better. He looks up his father who left when he was very young. He goes to Peru to hike the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. He chases a girl. He rides his bike across the country. He starts a Mentoring Program. He does things. Big things. And that was all nice and made for good stories. I guess at first I was not convinced that they were making his overall story meaningful. By the end, Miller says he now knows what he will talk to God about when he sees him. That he will talk to God about all of these experiences and God will reply, "Well done."

I guess my point is... when do we get to that point where we feel like our lives have been complete? I guess Miller is right- it's in the individual experiences that we find our meaning. It's in the painful times that we find our character. One line that stuck out was something a friend of Miller's said to him. He said that when painful things happen you either "get bitter or get better." I have found that to be true. I have experience what I would consider some painful life events. I actually had a conversation with a guy today that is experiencing a painful life event where he is being faced with how to handle what is in front of him. It's never easy. But life isn't about being easy. It's about living in the now and deciding that today I am choosing to be better. The crap that has happened before this moment is in the past, and what's the point of being bitter? No one wants to watch a bitter story. I don't think God intended for us to live a bitter life.

I do know that Jesus said he came that we might have life, and have it to the full. God created us so that we can live a story. I don't want to miss out on that. I don't want to just live my own story. I want to be a part of the story he is writing. I think the hardest part is finding out what that means in days that are full of 9-5 jobs, traffic, bills, tv, etc. But I will continue to try and find out. I will continue to choose to get better.

Thoughts?

7 comments:

Susan Isaacs said...

You know, I haven't finished Don's book myself. :{} I hear him talk about it every night. the book is even better. Glad I got to meet you and Corinne tonight! Suz

Unknown said...

Yes, to be better or bitter...it is quite a struggle when we are facing that painful experience each day or that experience is constantly evolving right in front of you. It's always easier from the outside looking in but in no way should that qualify a person to judge anyone's reaction to a painful experience.

Unknown said...

Guess we all just have to find a way to rise above it and carry on with life...

Beth said...

Thanks for sharing this, John Mark. I am looking forward to reading Don's new book (have loved all the others), and I admire the conviction he has, especially for single parents. I soooo wanted to see him on this book tour, but with a 6-month-old, my big plans out on the town aren't very big right now. Have you checked out the Burnside Writers' Website? It's written by some of Don's friends, & is very good.

Take care,
Beth

John Mark said...

Susan,

Great meeting you as well! Corinne is really looking forward to reading your book. I will probably steal it from her afterwards. We really enjoyed what you had to say and I'm anxious to read the full story!

John Mark said...

Dave,

Totally understand where you are coming from. The great part of what Don's message is through the book is that characters/people only change through conflict. Joy is not the absence of conflict, but what one experiences after getting through conflict. 2 years removed from a divorce now, I can now see fruit from what seemed to be, at the time, a no-win situation.

John Mark said...

Beth,

I have actually seen that site a long time ago, but had forgotten about it. I will start keeping up with that again. It's great to hear from you! I have a lot of great memories about the summer that Metzger and I hung out at your place a lot. Especially when we put the Blair Witch sticks and rocks in a rag with ketchup in it on your neighbors porch and they came home and kicked them off. Those were the days.